Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mishandled Goods



Respect everyone, and love your Christian brothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the king.”  1 Peter 2:17 NLT

In 1985 while in college, I came home one evening after working at the university bookstore. After making a trek across an empty campus in knee deep snow, I eventually made it home to my off campus apartment; exhausted and wet. As I climbed the stairs and neared the front door to the apartment I shared with three other roommates, I stood frozen in my tracks. The scene that greeted me was something that almost sent my faith into a tailspin. Written across our front door in blood were the words N-----s go home! As I looked down, I saw one of the piglets from the Biology lab tied to our doorknob. He was hung with his head facing downward and his once frozen body now dripped of blood which had also been sprinkled from our front door to the door directly across the hall from us. This apartment housed three of my African American friends, who had also been included in this hate crime.

My first reaction was to go banging on doors to see who did this despicable thing, but godly wisdom and common sense kicked in. Instead, I ran downstairs to the only other apartment in the whole building which housed African Americans and told them what had happened. After calling the police and filing a statement, the officers gave me the same swan song about how they would investigate the incident. Once again, they asked me if we (the nine African American’s who lived in the whole building) would follow their advice about moving back on campus. This time I thanked them halfheartedly and then went into my apartment and bolted the door shut. I called my mother to tell her what had happened and then wondered silently when my roommates were returning from break. A few hours later I was totally relieved when two of my friends from across the hall returned from the Christmas break.  

So, how you may ask does this experience tie in with the scripture and theme of this particular message? A few weeks ago as I reflected on some wisdom that Father released to me about how some have mishandled and treated with disdain some of His precious vessels, my thoughts were carried back to the incident in college. After hearing this word, several days later when I kept seeing words of confirmation concerning this mishandling from several connected apostolic-prophetic people, it made me realize even the more that there is coming forth for those who have been operating in this particular error a time for correction and realignment with their love walk.  

The incident I shared above happened at a predominately white university many years ago. I, along with the 200 African Americans students (out of over 10,000 students) were seen as not only a minority, but unworthy of consideration or respect from some of the students who attended the university.  In the eyes of the Father we were precious because He created us in His very own image. And just because we looked different due to the color of our pigmentation, did not mean that we did not matter. And just because we did wear our hair differently and even dressed differently did not serve as an open license for us to be treated any differently from anyone else on campus. We, just like all of the other students who were enrolled, were in pursuit of a secondary degree to help better our lives.

As we come back to the scripture 1 Peter 2:17, it tells us to “respect everyone.” In other words it means that even if someone is different or does things just a bit differently from you or I does not mean that person should be mishandled and treated with disdain. All people every shape, size and color are human and each person matters. And why is this? Because our creator the Sovereign Father says that all people matter to Him. (1 John 4:11)

As we walk through this life, we are going to encounter people who may not look or even act like us. This is where our real love walk will be tested. What would our honest response be? Will we still be able to treat people kind and show them the true love of the Father? Or will we just brush them off and mishandle the Father’s goods?  Remember, God is not watching to catch us slipping up, but to see if we will humbly stop and repent when we are walking in error.  Just like I was able to with the help of the Holy Spirit recognize my error before going down the hall, you, too are able to stop, think and press the pause button when things happen in your life that are contrary to the Father’s truth. 

May your heart be pricked today to allow the Holy Spirit to search and check the areas where you may have knowingly or unknowingly mishandled the Father’s goods.  Even if you have fallen in this area, know that the hand of the Father is extended to you in love. For as He has loved you with His perfect love, He also desires for you to love your neighbors no matter whom they are. (Matthew 22:39)


Blessings and love,

A Scribe of the Lord, a Scribe for the Lord



If you are in need of the Savior, Jesus Christ

Prayer of Salvation
I repent of all of my sins and right now I do confess that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for the remission of my sins. I believe that Jesus died and was buried and rose again, and is now seated at the right hand of God in Heaven. I receive Him now as Lord of my life and I now commit to serve him for the rest of my days.

It is in Jesus’ name I do pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment